Indian Head Massage
Indian Head Massage is an integral part of the Ayurvedic healing system that originated in India, millennia ago, and has been passed down through generations. The art was developed by and for women in India with the aim of stimulating long, healthy hair.
Narendra Mehta introduced Indian Head Massage to the West in the 1970s when he came to the UK to study physiotherapy. While living in England, he realised that nobody was practicing Indian Head Masage. He decided to teach this ancient art as he missed the pleasure and theraputic benefits. He is now internationally recognised as an expert teacher of Indian Head Massage
Indian head massage is a technique of manipulating soft tissues in the shoulders and scalp. The therapist uses a range of different massage pressures and rhythms to stimulate the head and neck area. A typical massage lasts about 20 minutes.
Indian Head Massage usually begins with working on the the upper back and shoulders. A combination of deep massage techniques and using pressure pressure on release points helps to relax and loosen the muscles. Moving upwards, from the back into the shoulders and upper arms helps release tension in muscles (such as Trapezius and Levator Scapulae) to release stress and tension. This helps to alleviate headaches. It also improves the circulation of the cerebral spinal fluid. Continuing with the upward movement, the scalp is then massaged using techniques that stimulate, relax and revive the entire head and scalp. This increases circulation and promotes healthy hair growth.
Often, Indian Head Massage includes a gentle face massage to aid circulation, improve skin tone, and reduce sinus and headache problems.
Indian Head Massage Benefits: -
- Aids the circulatory, muscular and nervous systems
- Frees knots of muscular tension and relaxes connective tissue
- Stimulates arterial circulation, and increases venous and lymphatic flow
- Reduces stress and can induce a feeling of euphoria
- Stimulates the skin and underlying nerve endings
- Aids in the elimination of accumulated toxins and waste products
It is particularly effective in addressing the effects of stress.
Incoming search terms:
- indian head massage definition
- define indian head massage
- concept of indian head massage
- massage techniques indian head resources
- indian head massage description
- scalp head and shoulder massage definition
- resources for indian head massafe
- is an indian massafe better than a back massage for tension in the neck
- indian head massage concept
- description of head massage